Doodling for Beginners: How to Draw
If you're just getting started drawing, it might seem a little intimidating! It takes time and patience to work up your skills to the point where what you envision in your head is what comes out on paper.
Luckily, drawing is fun, so practicing is easy! To get better at drawing and to help you find your signature style, it's a good idea to doodle whenever you can. Doodling helps you practice different styles, shapes, and figures without needing to commit to a big project or something that ends up looking "finished". Who knows, you might just find your favorite subject to draw after practicing some of these doodling tutorials!
To get started you'll need some paper, a pencil, some drawing pens in multiple point sizes for drawing lines in different thicknesses (we love Le Pen Drawing for this), and if you want to add some color you'll need some markers like Le Plume Permanent, which are great for drawing comics and anime, or Le Plume II, which are perfect for coloring!
Ready? Let's get started!
How to Draw Ice Cream
- Use a pencil to draw out two rough circles stacked on top of each and overlapping. Then add a big T that overlaps the bottom circle. This will be the framework for your doodle!
- Start at the top and start working your way down. Draw a small circle at the very top with a stem for your cherry.
- Add the topping below the cherry.
- Draw the bottom of the first scoop of ice cream.
- Add the second scoop of ice cream below that.
- Draw an upside-down triangle for the cone.
- Don't forget to add the details that make your drawing come to life! These details are what transform beginner doodles into advanced ones!
- Take your Le Plume II markers and add some color. Viola! You're done.
How to Doodle a Cactus
- Take your Le Pen Drawing in .3 and draw a long, rounded rectangle. This will be the rim of the planter.
- Next, draw a U shape under the rectangle.
- Draw a circle with a flat bottom on top of the rectangle.
- Add an arm to your cactus! You can also add a cute little flower by drawing three little petals on one side.
- Add your details to make it come to life! Cactuses have prickly points you can see, so make sure to add some.
- Now color it in and you're done!
How to Draw a Tulip
- Draw an outline of a wine glass shape in pencil. This will help you build your petals easier.
- Grab your favorite drawing pen and draw one half of a petal.
- Draw another half petal on the opposite side.
- Connect these by drawing a mountain shape at the top between them. You're almost done!
- Add details to the petals an add a stem to finish this off. Color it in to really make it pop!
Remember, doodling is all about having fun, practicing your skills, and exploring new techniques. Don't get caught up with making it look perfect!
Marvy Uchida Team
|Uchida of America Design Team|